[CH] Re: Dutch Ovens

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 05:48:02 PST

>From: GMurray74@aol.com

>If interested in purchasing Dutch Oven try Lehman's Hardware of Kidron,
>Ohio.

I'm less than two hours away from the place, it is a fascinating store.  It
can be a tourist magnet, though, and last I heard they were getting swamped
by Y2K people because they've always specialized in "non-electric
appliances" for the local Amish.  Now that the panic is over, I'd like to go
back and browse their cast iron again.  That's where I got some parts for my
Chop-Rite #10 grinder.

Ob chile:  I recently used my Lodge dutch oven to roast some dried Pasillas
for a red sauce.  I heated the lid separately on another burner, and with
both havles of the thing quite hot, I was able to get a good radiant-heat
roasting effect instead of just contact heat from the bottom of the pan.  I
cooked the peppers in batches and took them off when they just started to
smoke.

I want to run that thing on my Lodge grill.  I've been mulling over some
kind of stew whose ingredients are first grilled on the open half of the
grate, then put into the simmering dutch oven covering the other half of the
grate.  That beef-jalapeno stew idea comes to mind, or else I could watch
for some nice poblanos and get some chicken and garbanzos...

- A