Re: [CH] Calvin's powder!

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:05:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Emile & Dewi wrote:

> Dear Calvin,
>
> YES! The powder arrived in the mail today! I'm so exited to try out the one
> thing everybody agrees upon to be delicious.

I got mine Monday.  It really is an excellent powder mix.  Using the other
chiles to tone down the hab heat but retain the hab flavor is very
effective.  I've used it on a grilled steak with garlic, onion powder and
S & P.  We make out own hot powder out of super-chiles, cayennes, and
thais of various ilk and the heat is similar but ours doesn't have that
nice hab flavor.  Our hab-red savina powder is just a tad hot to use to
season steaks unless you are extremely careful about shaking it on--not to
mention when you scorch raw hab powder you regret it-- so Calvin's will be
used until it is gone.  I rated it about a 7 in heat which is what our
super chile-cayenne gets, but less the falvor.

I also use it in my lunch chicken-pepper broth.  The first day I didn't
let it sit long enough.  Yesterday I cooked the broth and let it sit for 4
hours; wow.  Just a very pleasant hab hint with a little boost of heat.

All in all, it's a pleasnt addition to the shelf.

carp

ps:  One more week and it's time to put the seeds int he starter pots.