[CH] Two apologies, cocona, pickled pepper recipe

Mike Stallcup (michael.stallcup@msfc.nasa.gov)
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:42:18 -0600

(I've been having e-mail problems, I hope this doesn't get posted twice.)

Apology #1 - When I posted about GMO and cocona it was my first
posting in a long time and I was not aware of the evils my email
software would do to my posting.  I was surprised to see the "=20"
characters in my posting but horrified to see the HTML version of my
posting.  Hopefully I've solved the problem.

BTW, I did not know if cocona had heat (like chile) or was useful in
salsa (like tomatillos) or maybe something else, thus, the C-H post.
Thanks go to Brent Thompson for explaining about cocona.  Hopefully
Alabama will be hot and humid enough - HA! - for the cocona to thrive
(assuming the seeds germinate).  I'll post results and save seeds if
possible.

>From: Shantihhh@aol.com
>Subject: [CH] Re: Lynn Edwards
>
>Sorry to correct but Lynn is a SHE and lives not far from my mom,
>like a mile in Mt. View/Sunnyvale, CA  YES that is in Silicon Valley.

Apology #2 - To Lynn Edwards: I made a dangerous assumption which
caused embarrassment, sorry.  Even so, many thanks for the seeds you
sent.  Even though I've had them for several years when I planted
some this year most sprouted.

As penance, I humbly submit a favorite pickled pepper recipe as
requested by "Blyrock" <blyrock@bellsouth.net>:

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                        Grandma's Sweet Lime Pickles

Recipe By     : Shirley Stallcup
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time : (days)
Categories    : Pickles & Relishes

    7      lbs           cucumbers, zucchini, green tomatoes -- cut into chunks
                         (or whatever you want to pickle, like serrano chiles)
    2      c             pickling lime
                         -- Pickling Solution --
    2      qts           vinegar
    5      lbs           sugar
    1      tsp           celery seed
    1      tsp           mixed pickling spices (ingredients unknown)
    1      tsp           turmeric
    1      tsp           whole cloves
    1 1/2  tbsps         pickling salt (non-iodized)
                         green food coloring (optional)

Peel and remove seeds from large cucumbers (or zucchini or thickly
sliced green tomatoes).  Cut cucumbers into chunks. If pickling
serrano chiles slice  chiles open from tip to just below stem,
leaving top of chile intact to keep the two halves together.  This
lets the pickling solution into the chile.

Weigh out 7 lb. of prepared produce.  Cover with solution of 2 cups
pickling lime well dissolved in 2 gallons of cold water.  Let stand
24 hours in a covered, non-metal container.  Stir occasionally (lime
tends to settle out).  Drain and rinse thoroughly two or three times
(or more).  Soak for 3 hours in clear water.  Drain well.  Soak in
pickling solution for 12 hours or overnight.  Pour cucumbers and
pickling solution into large pot and simmer for 45 minutes.  Seal in
jars and process in boiling water bath (15 minutes for pints).  By
using the lime process the pickles stay crisp when canned.

Makes about 6 quarts or 12 pints

                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This recipe results in a delicious combination of sweet and heat,
especially if you can get red ripe serranos.  Mixing the red with the
green (unripe) chiles makes a beautiful presentation.  I had  Aji
Amarillo (orange) and C. baccatum (red) to add which made it even
prettier.  This is the only recipe I've used which results in crisp
pickles (because of the lime processing).

This year's hopefuls, planted and sprouted:  tomatoes (Roma, Early
Girl, Cherry, Grape/Cherry), chiles (Poblano, Serrano, Chile
Escabeche)

Planted but not sprouted yet:  chiles (Rocoto, R. Naky, Big Jim),
cocona (small, large)

- Mike
Carpe capsicum!