Re: [CH] Virginia City Festival

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 06:27:46 -0600

Dave Anderson wrote:

> The annual mountain oyster festival was held today in Virginia City
> Nevada. I wasn't able to attend because I had to go to the boat and
> RV show in Reno.

> According to our local news, the winners for best presentation were
> The McCastrate Sisters, and best taste award went to Great Balls
> of Fire. Chiles must have been involved:-)

> Congrats to the Kiwis on the America's Cup. They also supply the
> mountain oysters.

This has been a subject here before. I snagged the "recipe" below a few
years ago and have used it a few times since then. A local meat market
sells calf, pig, turkey, and lamb "fries" on a regular basis. I found
that the recipe responds well to a bit of cayenne or some of Emeril's
Essence (which has cayenne in it) added to the crushed cracker crumbs.

BULLS BALLS

"When I was first married, the cowboys would castrate the bull calves
and put the 'oysters' in the branding fire coals and eat them when
they thought they were done. Later, my husband would save some and
bring them in, to my horror, for me to fix. I had no experience with
that recipe and didn't know how to start and no one would tell me if
they knew how, so I sort of figured out a recipe for myself."

--Mrs. Paul Huntley

Have a very sharp knife and hold the oyster so it is tight across one
side. Split the tough skinlike muscle over it from end to end, lay it
down, and with an ordinary large butcher kinfe you can get under the
edge of this covering and sort of scrape and roll the center part out.
That is the part you eat.

Put them in a pan of salt water for an hour or so to take out some of
the blood. Drain and put in a quart of water or enough to cover well.
Add a tablespoon of cider vinegar and put on the stove to parboil.
After they come to a boil, let them stay just a little while and drain
and rinse. Put in refrigerator and when good and cold one can slice
them the long way with a sharp knife in about four slices. Dip in
beaten seasoned egg, and dip in cracker crumbs and fry in plenty of
hot fat or oil. If they are small, prepare the same way, but cut in
small pieces and add to scrambled eggs in a hot greased skillet, cook
slowly, long enough to cook through.

(c) Ace Reid, 1969 - Reproduced without permission, but he'd probably
love this list, if he's not lurking now!

FROM: Chile-Heads Digest & Mailing List (date unspecified)

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider