RE: [CH] Compost

Charles P Demas (cpd@world.std.com)
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:46:12 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Parkhurst, Scott Contractor wrote:

> > I deal coverage for compost is 3 in per year.
> > to cover 1 acre of land 3 in deep is 1 million tons.
>
>    Hmmmmm, 43560 sq. ft. per acre.  Divide that by 4
> (since 1 cubic ft. of material would cover 4 sq. ft. 3 in.
> deep) gives 10980 cubic feet of compost (now, that is a
> copiuos quantity of compost).  If that volume weighed
> 1 million tons (2000000000 lbs) then each cubic ft. of
> compost would weigh just under 183654.73 pounds.

He probably meant 1 Million pounds, that would be 91.87 pounds per cubic
foot.  That's a density of a little less than 1.5 were water has a density
of 1.  So it would sink, not float.  The density is much more realistic.

Three inches of compost seems like a lot to add for coverage, though I
don't know much about gardening.  Seems pretty rich, especially if it's
done every year.

I wonder if that 3 inches is correct, and if it's ever done on a large
scale.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas