RE: [CH] seedling transplant

Parkhurst, Scott Contractor (PARKHURS@LEAVENWORTH.ARMY.MIL)
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:35:01 -0000

 Steve wrote:
> > If that is your only reason, save yourself some time by
> starting them in larger pots right from the beginning.
> Transplanting so small a sedling is very difficult to do
> without damaging the roots and seed leaves

   Speaking only for myself, I don't have room (yet) to start
my seeds in anything larger than 1x1 or 2x2 6-packs.
Even then I put 2 - 6 seeds in each cell (more seeds
per cell when I expect poor germination or don't know).
   When the time comes to transplant them, usually after
the 2nd set of true leaves appear, I gently separate them
from the potting soil, and from each other if the roots
have gotten somewhat entangled.  The key here is to be
gentle.
   Peppers are pretty hardy little critters, and as long as you
don't leave the roots exposed for very long they should turn
out just fine.  Using a one quart cardboard milk carton as a
"speed tray" I have transplanted seedlings that had just
emerged (had to move them to light while keeping their kin
folk toasty warm) without any damage or trouble.

   Now that I'm thinking about it, I need to stop on the way
home and pick up some more fixtures and bulbs to get the
expansion under way.

Scott... KCK