Re: [CH] Transplanting methods

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 01:47:25 -0500

Byron Bromley wrote:

> In the Burpee method one allows 3 ot 4 plants to get started in a 2x2
> pot.  After they reach a certain height, One removes the plants from
> the pot, removes the dirt, attempts to untangle the roots with out
> breaking them off.  Then plant into another pot, attempting to get
> soil around the roots.

Yep, that's kinda how I do it.  I use a seed starting tray, 20 slots
14 inches long, about an inch deep and 1/2 inch wide.  Toss in some
seed starting mix and poke in 15-20 seeds in a row.  In a few weeks
I have about 300 baby peppers/tomatoes/eggplants/tomatillos/herbs
per tray, 2nd pair of true leaves on top and roots all tangled
below.

I dig'em all out to transplant them, losing taproots and assorted
other roots in the process.  These transplanted babies don't even
wilt a little bit in their new pots, and seem to take off just fine.

> <snip>....With the Burpee method I lost over 50%. And because I also
> lost a battle with a snowblower I can no longer do the Burpee method.
> I no longer have enough small motor movement to get the job done.

So far this Spring, I have transplanted almost 500 seedlings by the
above method.  We have lost 2.  I can't imagine why you lost half of
yours.  Sorry to hear you caught your head in your snowblower. ;-)

Hobby Farmer