Re: [CH] Densities

Charles P Demas (cpd@world.std.com)
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:28:32 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Byron Bromley wrote:

> Here is a few variations of compost densities.
> Weight is per cu yd.
> Source my County Agent
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> It varies greatly due to the materials that made up the compost and the
> moisture content of the compost.
>
> The range can be:
> Leaves Loose and Dry            300
> Leaves Compacted and Moist      500
> Grass Clippings Loose           400
> Grass Clippings Compacted       800
> Cattle Manure                   1450

Interesting, I note that according to these numbers, a plastic bag filled
with cow manure (and sealed) would float.

I've never dealt with fresh cow manure, but the stuff that's rotted
for a couple years was denser than this, as I recall.

When I was a kid, my parents would get a load of well rotted cow
manure delivered, and I had to shovel/spread it into the rose garden.

When people were talking about adding compost to a garden, were they
talking about the stuff you put on a compost heap, or the stuff that
has reduced to dirt?

My parents have a compost mound of sorts, but they only take the
well "composted" material to use to feed their plants.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas