Re: [CH] Math problem

Mark McHugh (mchugh@internet-stat.net)
Sun, 02 Apr 2000 22:07:16 -0500

Parkhurst, Scott Contractor wrote:

> > If Dr G applied approx 330,000 lbs per acre and the MAX
> > application should have been 5 lbs per 100 sq ft.
> > How far was he off??
>
>    By my figuring, I come up with about 757.6 lb/100sq ft.
> That is 151.5 times the max application for a garden.  If
> this is an application of lime, it would certainly be enough
> to dispose of dead bodies.
>    I know my chiles would be unhappy in a soil with such
> a drastically elevated pH, but what I want to know is:
> Could botulism spores survive?
>
> Scott... just wondering... KCK

Scott's numbers look good to me.

There are 435.6 100sqft sections per acre.  Using Byron's figure of lime at 5
lbs/100sqft, you get a max of 2178 lbs/acre.

The doc used 330,000 lbs/acre.  A nasty 151.5 times the max.

I doubt those botulinal spores could survive, but God knows it's a strange
world, what with little critters living in volcanic vents on ocean floors.

--
~~
Mark McHugh

gnothi seauton