Re: [CH] Unseasonal snow

Ron Hill (rontah@enigma71.freeserve.co.uk)
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 21:38:33 +0100

At 08:20 04/04/00 +0100,Andrew wrote:

>Last night, London and most of England had an unseasonal snow fall and a
>frost [in April ?]- from personal experience I can say the even chili
>seedlings cannot melt through the snow cover successfully.  Can now look
>out upon a growbag of white, wilted seedlings.  Global 'warming' is
>screwing up the seasons, here.
>					Andrew Healy

Hi Andrew and CH'ers,
Were you pushing your luck a bit putting your chiles outside so early Andrew?
Here in Suffolk (East Anglia) I daren't put them outside until late May as
the temperatures drops to freezing, or just above, on several nights till then.

I was about a month behind in sowing my seeds but the seedlings are just
getting their proper leaves and if the greenhouse warms up with a bit more
sun then I can pot them up very soon.
Just for the record I had almost 100% germination from seeds from Dave A.
- 3 days from ordering to getting here from the US and 4 days to germinate,
(except the Rocotos that have taken longer). I sow the seed in last year's
compost that I sterilise in the microwave oven in the kitchen, for 5 minutes
in plastic trays. Lovely smell, but the other half isn't too impressed when she
goes to use it and finds the compo there :)

Regards to All,
Ron.