Re: [CH] grinder question

Dave Drum (xrated@famvid.com)
Sun, 09 Apr 2000 21:15:28 -0500

Doug Faust wrote:

> I have a chance to get one of those big whackin' mixers at what sounds like
> a pretty good price, and part of my thinking about getting it is making
> sausage.  now most of you folks who make your own sausage seem to be
> talking about using dedicated meat grinders, which you then want to use for
> grinding chiles and such as well. what about the other way----anyone have
> any experience with this mixer-driven attachment grinders gizmos?

Doug, spice grinders and meat grinders are two darned near totally
different beasts. You want to grind your chiles in a dedicated spice
grinder (the Mr. Coffee on sale @ $12-13 works well). Then add the
ground chili powder to the mix of meat and other spices going through
your Kitchen-Aid (that's what it sounds like you are looking at).

Check with the folks over on rec.food.preserving for lots more lore on
making your own sausages. It's not very hard - but, it is very
rewarding.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider