Re: [CH] Hacked Chicken is it something like this one?

Chet Bacon (chet@chetbacon.com)
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 17:32:18 -0400

Hacked Chicken with Hot Oil & Browned Szechuan Peppercorns

Recipe By : TVFN - Taste - Show # 4888
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time: 0:00
 Categories :
           Chicken
                  Taste

 Amount
        Measurement
                   Ingredient
                                     Preparation Method
 6
        cloves
                   garlic
 1/4
        cup
                   coriander
                                     roots and stems
 6
        tablespoons
                   sesame paste
 4
        tablespoons
                   thin soy sauce
 3
        tablespoons
                   shao hsing
 3
        tablespoons
                   honey
 2
        tablespoons
                   sesame oil
 4
        teaspoons
                   rice vinegar
 1 1/2
        teaspoons
                   hot chili oil
 2
                   scallions, green only
                                     chopped
 1/2
        teaspoon
                   Szechuan peppercorns
 2
        whole
                   chicken breasts

In a mortar and pestle puree the garlic and coriander. Transfer mixture to
a bowl and add the sesame paste, soy sauce, shao hsing, honey, sesame oil,
rice vinegar, chili oil, and scallions and mix together.
Brown the Szechuan peppercorns in a dry castiron skillet over low heat for
5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Grind them, then sieve them and add to
the bowl with the sauce.
Boil the chicken breasts in lightly salted water for 67 minutes, until
just
past pink. Refresh them under cold water. When cool, skin and bone them.
Pull apart the meat into strips.
Arrange meat on a serving plate. Pour over sauce and serve.
Yield: 6 appetizer servings

CherylWolfe and Mike Kuhlmann wrote:

> Hi Ginny!  Ever since your letter of March 8th, I've been remembering and
> craving Hacked Chicken.  I have looked and looked, searching the recipe
> lists and databases, and still can not find a recipe.  I don't care if it's
> hot or cold, I had hacked chicken several years back at a restaurant that
> no longer exists, and loved it!   I tried to reproduce the recipe, and
> although what I have turned out was good to eat, it just wasn't the same!
> Any chance you could share that recipe?  Anyone?

* Chet Bacon   KA1ILH     |           Okay, who put a             *
* PO Box 284              |         "stop payment" on my          *
* Southington, CT 06489   |             reality check?            *
* E-Mail:                 | Homepage:                             *
* chet@chetbacon.com      | http://www.chetbacon.com              *
* chet_bacon@whps.org     |<work>  http://www.whps.org            *
* Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco*
* Adopt a Doberman     Help end puppy mills!      www.dru.org     *