[CH] Re: Madison Hotluck

Helle & Henning (Helning@vip.cybercity.dk)
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:29:29 +0200

A danes report from Madison Hotluck.

First of all, everybody was extremely nice and pleasant.
The food was HOT and the cider cold (and the weather was awful - tons of rain).

Indiana people are modest people:
Indiana guy: "Well Henning, why are you visiting Indiana"
Me: "To visit the Hotluck"
Indiana guy: "Naw...come on, why are you REALLY here"
Me: "To visit the Hotluck"
Indiana guy: "Stop kiddin' and tell me the real reason"
...And so on

But I came there to visit the hotluck and enjoyed every minute.

I bought a lot of stuff at the chile expo and Jim made sure that my suitcase was almost bursting with chile-goods (overweight on the plane back - they didnt charge me).
Tasted THE BREAD!!! It was - according to Jim - toned down compared to previously, but still left a lasting impression.

Talked to a lot of list members, who are no longer just names on a mailing list, but real people with healthy interests (chiles! and the odd drink).

Brought some danish stuff with me as well to Indiana.
Jim Campbell and his wife Abby do NOT like pickled heering :-) Randy (ledbelly) loved it.
They all were silent for 10-15 seconds after a shot of aquavit (danish snaps/vodka made on potatoes).

Alex gave me a big jar of habanero/apple pepper mash from last years hab field get together.
Had to hand carry the big jar all the way home (4 airplanes), but am now happy I went through the trouble.
Great stuff.

Alex wrote:
> Henning looked very Danish, with a cold lunch plate of sausage, cheeses, and
> wine.  I could tell he was having fun.
Yes Alex, I was definitely having fun and needed some plain food to ease the chile attack on my stomach.

Thank you all.

Henning Petersen
Copenhagen, Denmark