[CH] Re: hab mash

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 07:57:11 PDT

>From: Cameron Begg <begg.4@osu.edu>

>This juice was kept in the fridge, but fermented none the less to
>produce an excruciatingly hot sauce.

It was your orange habanero sauce you gave me that most impressed the staff
at Casa Fiesta on Bethel Road.  They had never seen a hot sauce that
actually came out of the bottle by itself, hunting for victims.  I called it
the Walking Habanero sauce.

I choose to simmer in hopes of starting with a sterile product.
Deliberately fermenting it as you and Carpo do is something I want to try,
but not until I have more room.  I need a cellar or something, a place where
no one will smell the fermentation, and anything that gets out of control
and bursts will not harm anything - right now a hab burst would be pretty
bad for me, since all the canning jars are on a closet shelf above a bunch
of clothes.

BTW so far so good, I've never had any vessel burst from fermentation
pressure in the years I've been hot-canning salsas and sauces.  The only way
they've gone bad is from going stale; eventually the top inch or so of the
sauce/salsa starts turning brown.

Let me bounce this off you folks - does it seem to any of you that an older
jar of salsa, when opened, may smell fresh at first but quickly loses
freshness and tastes stale, upon exposure to air?

- A