Re: [CH] Carrot based sauces

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:50:04 -0500

From: "Deb deForest" <deforest@selec.net>

> Brent wrote:
> "> Does anyone have any recommendations for what to use to increase the
> > viscosity?
>
> Carrots?  Isn't that the secret of the Belize habanero sauces, e.g. by
> Marie Sharp?"

Hey, look, a chile-related post we can all relate to; not that I can't get
into measuring the pounds of bullsh*t per post, er, garden, mind you, it's
just that this is a good question and answer.

Carrots will wirk (WIRK?) very well here if you use them correctly.  The
first time I used carrots in a sauce I didn't cook them prior to canning
them in the sauce.  Great flavor, but a crunchy sauce.   The real trick is
to simmer them to softness and then puree to a liquid texture. You can
adjust the texture by starting with boiled carrots that have been dried of
excess external moisture.  If the puree is too dry, add back a few drops of
water.  You have to be very conservative here as a little H2O goes a long
ways.

Then add habs.

Onions will do the same but they hold far more water and it's very easy to
get a thin sauce with sediments of onions at the bottom of the jar/bottle.

carp