Re: [CH] News item

george dork (gdork@flash.net)
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:44:04 -0500

Mary & Riley wrote:

> [...]

(snip)

This "news" about the umami taste is right 'bout a
hundred years old, as Mary and Riley noted.

In 1908 the Japanese investigator Kikunae Ikeda
isolated monosodium glutomate in the seaweed in which
it naturally occurs, permitting MSG to be produced
artifically.

The news more recently mentioned as being in the April
issue of Scientific American (I couldn't find it in
the on-line edition) is probably something along the
lines of a Reuters press report that can be viewed at
the URL below:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/Tastereceptor_000124.html

The gist of which is simply that the molecule in our
mouth that senses MSG has been identified.
Interestingly, the scientists who made this discovery
used rats as proxies for us...standing in for you and
me.

I will close now to go and ponder that, but I doubt it
is the chile sensor. dork