Re: [CH] Yucatan Lamb recipe

green56 (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Tue, 02 May 2000 19:20:15 -0500

Deb deForest wrote:

> With a heads up to green and apologies to Doug:
> Lamb has been on special at the grocery lately.  Found this on about.com
> when looking for things to make.  Haven't tried it yet but will do so asap,
> since y'all know I love lamb.
> (Notes are from the original author.)
> Deb in Houston
>
> --
> YUCATAN LEG OF LAMB
> ===================
> From: arielle@taronga.com (Stephanie da Silva)
>
> Ingredients:
> ------------
> 1          whole leg of lamb (approx. 6.5 pounds)
> 1.5 tblsp  cumin seeds
> 3 tblsp    black peppercorns
> 3 tblsp    dried orregano leaves
> 3 tblsp    dried thyme leaves
> 0.5 tsp    sea salt (I use regular salt)
> 3-4        dried chipotle chile (essential - these are smoked jalapeno)
> 3 tblsp    olive oil
> 8-10       prickly pear cactus pads (optional - these are sold as nopales)
> 6 cups     reserved lamb stock (I use beef stock with equally good results)
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Instructions:
> -------------
> Preheat oven to 325
>
> Trim fell and fat from leg of lamb.  (The fell is is what gives lamb its
> strong taste.  It is important to remove it as thoroughly as possible).
> Remove hip bone with a boning knife (I usually leave this on, it just
> makes carving the lamb a little more difficult).  Re-form the lamb and
> tie tightly with kitchen string.  Make a stock with the bones and
> trimmings and set lamb aside, covered with plastic wrap.
>
> In a small iron skillet, saute the cumin seeds, peppercorns, orregano,
> and thyme over medium heat to release their flavours.  Stir frequently
> and remove when they turn brown and start to smoke.  Add salt and one
> broken chipotle chili, and grind the mixture into a fine powder in a
> clean coffee grinder.
>
> Rub lamb with olive oil and then coat uniformly with generous amounts of
> the spice mixture.  Place on a rack in a shallow roasting and roast for
> 1 hour and 15 minutes - until a meat thermometer registers an internal
> temperature of 120 F.  Rasie heat to 450 F to brown exterior for 5 to 10
> minutes (the meat thermometer is important to judge the doneness of the
> meat).  The internal temperature should rise to 130 F.  Remove from oven
> and let rest for 15 min.  before carving to allow the meat juices to be
> reabsorbed.
>
> While the lamb is roasting, wash the prickly pear cactus pads in cold
> water, after removing the thorns with a paring knife, brush with olive
> oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Grill over a low charcoal fire
> or under a broiler for about 5 min.  per side or until tender.
>
> To make the sauce, pour the fat from the roasting pan and add the lamb
> stock (or beef stock in my case), and remaining broken chipotles.
> [...]

Thanks, again, Deb!

Tho wish I'd had this on Sun, when I picked up a leg o'lamb - orig
marked $27+, but on sale for $10!!!  You KNOW I grabbed that baby and
ran!

Did some o'it on the girl, rubbed with powder I made from the habs grown
last year (green ones) and some smoked chilpotles I'd received - both
dried in the dehydrator - and ground.  Ground them in the house and had
no prob...

Anyway, was delish!!!  The rest I cut off the bone and froze.  Used the
bone to make lamb stock.

And I made some hab vinegar with some o'the dried habs, and made some
chilpotle vinegar w/some o'the dried chilpotles.  TO DIE FOR!!!!

Did a bone-in rib-eye on the girl marinaded in the chilpotle vinegar and
thought I'd gone to heaven!!!!