Re: [CH] hotluck 101?

Robyn and John (rmartin@uq.net.au)
Wed, 03 May 2000 20:10:31 +1000

Thanks Mary, that's exactly what I needed. I also found this at
dictionary.com, does anyone think it might be related?

potlatch
  n.

A ceremonial feast among certain Native American peoples of the
northwest Pacific coast, as in
celebration of a marriage or an accession, at which the host distributes
gifts according to each
guest's rank or status. Between rival groups the potlatch could involve
extravagant or
competitive giving and destruction by the host of valued items as a
display of superior wealth.

Mary Going wrote:
> It's like a potluck with hot & spicy food. I have collected tips and hints
> from Martha Stewart... No, wait, Jim McGrath and others about how to host a
> hot luck at http://firegirl.com/hotluck.

John