RE: [CH] Hyponex (et al)

Parkhurst, Scott Contractor (PARKHURS@LEAVENWORTH.ARMY.MIL)
Wed, 3 May 2000 13:59:32 -0000

Byron wrote:
> Scott from KCK tells me that he found latex products in his
> Hyponex, I scratched that brand name off my list.

   Yup, I've found latex products (not ribbed, near as I could tell),
bits of plastic, rocks, twigs and other things in the 40 lb bags
I've gotten.  Never any huge amounts and never anything that
didn't appear composted, but almost always something in every
brand I've gotten.
   I've used Hyponex, Vita-Hume and Black River topsoils, but
never potting soil.  Hyponex is kinda pricy, but more reasonable
if you got it with the rebate.  Vita-Hume tends to cost less than
Hyponex, but seems to have more undesirables.  The most
consistantly junk free topsoil I've found is the Black River, available
at Home Depot for everyday price of 87 cents (IIRC).
   My observations are based on more than a few bags purchased.
My newest raised bed has over 2 tons of topsoil in it (yes, TONS).
Add in a few hundred pounds of composted manure, and that is
one good excuse to buy a new wheelbarrow.

Scott... KCK