[CH] Peri-Peri?? Piri-Piri?

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Sat, 6 May 2000 00:32:35 RSA-2

> Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 09:14:09 -0400
> From: myron menaker <myronm@bellsouth.net>

> We've regularly discussed piri-piri or peri-peri...and now,
> from the depths of the Congo....comes:

>    Pili Pili (and how to make it)

It is the same meaning in a different language.

Piri piri (swahili) simply means "hot hot" and in African
tradition the double use of a word is for emphasis.  It would
be used to describe a chile, *any* chile that was hot, not a
particular type of sauce or dish.  In exactly the same way the
english use of chile does not equal sauce.

Interesting but not surprising the only other use of this double
word that I could find with a quick check was Arabic -
filfilakhmar =  red chile.

See Jean Andrews p9

So pili pili, piri piri.... sauce is "hot hot" sauce or chile
sauce.  And chicken piri piri or piri piri chicken is chicken
cooked with chiles.

Pili pili..piri piri on its own is a chile of no particular type.
;-)

Peter

--
Peter Moss

After one hundred and fifty years and many thousands of firearms
control laws to reduce crime the list of successes should be
long and illustrious.  Where is the list?