Re: [CH] Plastic for the Peppers

Tony Flynn (tony@nzol.net.nz)
Thu, 11 May 2000 10:11:57 +1200

Suzanne Fike wrote:

> Hey all,
> One warning I have about covering the soil during the Winter is I found that
> more than killing weeds I provided a great little environment to cultivate
> bugs...most of them big nasties.  I won't do that again.

Hi there,

I have had a great crop of Habs off black plastic this year. I planted
them fairly close 18 inches between plants. They were slow to start and
pretty fragile when the plants were small, but once they got away
flourished and virtually no weeds.

Last year before I went on holiday for two months I covered most of my
veggie garden with plastic which the local timber mill use to cover sawn
timber. This becomes waste when the timber goes to the store.

There was very few bugs when I lifted it just a few crickets and a
particular cockroach that has established itself in the area in the past
15 years and no weeds.
I will put it down again when I go to Oz for a month at the end of
June:-)

So different results for different folks. It would seem that to try
everything in your own backyard and find out what works for you is the
way to go.

One more thing. Talking to my computer dealer mate I noticed him
throwing away little bags of silica gel that come in the new hard
drives. He has been saving them for me and I now have a bag full. I will
trying them out in my seed storage container to see if it helps keep
seeds viable.

Tony Flynn

Grandad. Retired at the beach. Bay of Plenty. New Zealand.