Re: [CH] Update on Epsom Salts Killing Mint

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Sat, 20 May 2000 08:06:21 -0700

tgreaves@notes.primeco.com wrote:

> I checked the mint this morning and it is completely dead to the ground.  No
> sign of any growth coming up.  So it looks like we have discovered a selective
> killer for mint that will help everything else around it.  Maybe someone with a
> mint problem can try it on a control patch.  I used 1/2 cup Epsom Salts in a
> gallon of water and then sprayed it on.

I think it might work on bermuda grass as well.  I used to
own and operate a small lawn maintenance route...just lawn
maintenance, nothing else, gas powered tool jockey.  Every
once in awhile, one of my customers would ask about controlling
bermuda grass in banks with ice plant and other such spreading
succulents as the desired ground cover.  I asked some questions
at the local materials-for-full-service-pros outlet and was told
of a product available for controlling bermuda grass in such
ground cover situations.  From what info I could get out of the
guy, I determined it's main active ingredient apparently was
magnesium salts.  Sounds like it might have been epsom salts
wrapped up in a more professional looking (and more expensive)
package to me.  Might be worth a try for those with persistent
bermuda grass problems in areas where mulch or Round-Up and other
weed killers aren't an alternative.  I'd test it on a small,
inconspicuous area first, though.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...