Re: [CH] Jokers Hat Chile

Nick Tsalis (leni1@one.net.au)
Wed, 24 May 2000 18:57:56 +0800

Mark Ellis wrote:
> I have another question about one of my chile plants that I have had growing
> for nearly 5 years now in a pot. It is what I think people refer to a Joker
> Hat as it sort of looks like a Scotch Bonnet but with 3 elongated lobes. The
> whole pods is around 1- 1 1/4" long. Red in colour. About a 5/10 on the
> average heat score. Very thick flesh and quite cold tolerant as it will take
> several frosts. In the 5 gallon pot it has grown approx 3 feet high and 4
> feet wide with very sturdy branching. Leaves are Hab like.  My question is,
> what in the heck species is this. My first impression is that it is baccatum
> because of the cold tolerance but I have no idea. Can anyone offer an
> opinion here. Thanks again.

Hey Mark,

does it have green or brown spots on the flower corollas? If it does then it's probably a bacc'.
It sounds very similar to one I've been growing in a pot for a few years now. It got to about 2
metres before I cut it back last year. I've heard/seen it called peri-peri, bi-bell, jokers hat &
rocotillo. (page 44- 'peppers of the world' - DeWitt & Bosland).
Michael at the fragrant garden had one that looked like a small tree!

Nick.