Fwd: Subject: [CH] whitefly problems

Fiskenh@aol.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 18:31:11 EDT

--part1_bc.59bfe6d.265f03af_boundary

From: Fiskenh@aol.com
Full-name: Fiskenh
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:38:47 EDT
Subject: Re: Subject: [CH] whitefly problems
To: owner-chile-heads-digest@globalgarden.com

Simon Briggs <briggs@clara.co.uk> said

<< Try growing marigolds near the plants - that'll stop all aphids attacking
 them. Or spray your chile plants with really weak soapy water - that works
 a treat. >>

I am growing French Marigolds (Tagetes) round my tomato plants (San Marzano
and Tigerella) for that purpose - I just popped some seeds in once I'd potted
the plants up. I have also heard that crushing up a garlic clove in a
spray-bottle of water, and then spraying this on your plants, will keep
aphids away (cats too!). I use my dish-washing water on my garden (reluctant
to try on my tomatoes and chile plants!) and don't get alot of bother from
aphids.

I am a newbie Chile-head - I have five plants, four of which I've grown from
seed (don't know what they are yet as they came from a "Caribbean blend") and
one which came from a garden centre labelled as Hot Chile Pepper (the picture
is long and red!). A few years ago I had some Birds Eye chile plants grown
from seed, but this year I decided to go chile-mad - I've found so much
helpful stuff on here, I'm really grateful!

Helen
Norfolk, UK
Fiskenh@aol.com

--part1_bc.59bfe6d.265f03af_boundary--