Re: [CH] V6 #192 / Help...

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Fri, 26 May 2000 22:22:46 -0500

Cameron Begg wrote:

> ... On topic I started 6 rocotos after a struggle. If they survive my
> >daughters care while I am in Oz during July. I will plant them outside
> >in a shade house covered with 50% shade cloth and see what happens.
>
> The following is conjectural as I have not done comparative tests. I
> suspect that rocotos will do OK in open sunshine IF the temperature
> is not too high. They appear to get a bad case of the sulks if the
> temperature here is over about 85degF(~30degC); so it might be a
> combination of high temperature and humidity plus the heating effects
> of direct sun that they do not like. C. chinense on the other hand
> love extreme heat and humidity.
> --
> ---
>                       Regards,               Cameron.

C-H's

  This relates to an unfortunate situation I have here. The only place I
can put the plants I keep at home (as opposed to the majority that go out
to the parents garden) is out on our balcony. Things being what they are,
the plants are hit with direct full sun from around noon to sunset. On
those really hot / humid days, they are typically well wilted by the time I
get home from work to give them a drink. I know that stressing the plants
can improve the heat of the pods, etc, but I would rather have the plants
not be stressed as much as they sometimes are. I was knocking around the
idea of trying to construct some sort of partial cover to keep the noon -
2:00 or so sun from directly hitting them. I had lately been wondering if
there was something commercially available along the lines of what this
"50% shade cloth" sounds to be. Would someone please tell me a little bit
about this, or if there might be something better suited to my purposes?

Thank you very much.

--
Erich
C-H # 2099