Re: [CH] CA Bay

Douglas Irvine (dougandmarie@home.com)
Sun, 28 May 2000 17:11:19 -0700

Shantihhh@aol.com wrote:

> < The "Californian Bay" (Umbellularia californiica) should not be used in
> cooking
> z Miscellaneous >>
>
> WHY???????  We use it all the time.  We have several trees growing as well as
> the Greek variety.

And,California Bay Laurel, is available from Spice Islands, in a jar!!!
For sale at all super duper pooper markets(except in Canada)Pity!
Fortunately, I have a niece in So Cal who sends it to me! But I still
have my own bay laurel tree growing and the leaves, when dried, taste
just as good. And of course since we use these poisonous leaves in a
multitude of things, we died of Bay leaf poisoning, many years
ago.(nuther incarnation!) Tonight, I did a moussaka, seeing as the local
super dooper etc, had them on at 49 cents a lb. If enuf requests come
in, I may even post the CH version of this recipe(which is the one I
did)(CH, like as in Doug!!) Seeing as the original recipe came outta a
real Greek cookbook, published and printed in Greece, in English, for
all those language challenged(politically incorrect, stupid dummies)who
do not read Greek, .....sorry Chas! And it had NO heat atall, atall!!
Sheesh, how those Greek  folk got as far advanced as they did without
chile peppers....I dunno! Sooo....as I said, I will post the recipe, if
it is any good..still in the oven at this post....BTW A very happy,
safe, nostalgic Memorial Day to all of my Merkin CH friends.....Sorry
Luke & Tony, and Dena   cheers, Doug in BC