[CH] Chiles in Europe

Virginia Anderson (assembly1@waitrose.com)
Sun, 28 May 2000 09:13:59 +0100

Miss Dewi wrote:

>Some of my pots don't have holes in the bottom and due to heavy
>rain in Holland, those pots have been flooding. I hope the roots don't rot.
>I have now put them in covered areas and I hope for the best!

My chiles are still on the windowsill in the living room thanks to the rain,
hail, cold, hurricane-like winds, and so on.  They're over a foot tall and
obscure the garden view.  Last month it was hot and they were halfway
through hardening off.  Now they pout at the window like schoolchildren on
rain day.

Thanks all who gave such good advice about these chiles in their early
stages.  I just know that there are good answers out there for a few more of
my stupid questions:

The RHS Encyclopaedia suggests pinching the top shoot to give them side
shoots.  Is this a good time to do so?  I'm giving them a dilute feed of
store own-brand liquid all-purpose fertiliser (half recommended quantities)
every two weeks.  Is this all right?  Before they had this fertiliser they
loved direct sunlight - now (when we've got it) too sun much causes the
tallest ones to start to droop (and immediately recover when I move them to
a shadier location).  Is this because of the fertiliser, the stronger late
spring sun, or weakness during a teenage growth spurt?

I got a couple Cayenne plants from the garden centre last week - little guys
which cost as much as all my current chiles and the seeds in my larder.
They've doubled in height since then.  The RHS book says that these Cayennes
grow to 5 feet tall.  Is that what I should expect of the Anaheims as well?

Thanks in advance for any of your good advice.

Cheers,

Virginia
--
Virginia Anderson