Re: [CH] Tonight's Dinner Will Be...

Charles P Demas (cpd@world.std.com)
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 17:04:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 radiorlg@att.net wrote:

>                            Spicy Hobo Casserole
>
> Recipe By     : RisaG
> Serving Size  : 6    Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories    : Beans/Legumes/Pulses             Chiles
>                 Corn                             Low Fat
>
>   Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> --------  ------------  --------------------------------
>                         Bean & Vegetable Layer:
>    1      cup           onion -- chopped
>    1      cup           mixed peppers -- chopped
>    1                    jalapeno or serrano chile -- chopped
>    2      lg cloves     garlic -- minced
>    1      14 oz can     red kidney beans -- rinsed & drained
>    1      16 oz can     tomatoes, juice & all -- chopped
>    8      oz            tomato sauce
>    1      tsp           chili powder
>    1      tsp           prepared mustard
>    1      tsp           chipotle sauce
>                         Corn Bread Topping:
>    1      cup           yellow cornmeal
>    1      cup           unbleached all-purpose flour
>    2 1/2  tsp           baking powder
>      1/2  tsp           kosher salt
>    1      tbsp          sugar
>    1      cup           skim milk
>      1/2  cup           egg substitute
>    1      tbsp          canola oil
>    1      8 oz can      cream-style corn
>                         Garnishes:
>                         fat-free sour cream
>                         cilantro -- chopped
>                         scallions -- chopped
>
> NOTES : Original recipe from So Fat, Low Fat, No Fat by
> Betty Rohde, p. 128-129.
>
> Nutritional information: Less than 1 gram of fat for the
> WHOLE dish!!!

I gram of fat for the whole dish???

I DON'T THINK SO!!!

Where did that tablespoon of canola oil go to?

Last I checked, a tablespoon is 1/32 of a pint (which if that were a
pound, it's a bit less for oil), and would be at least 10 grams of fat.

And that cream-style corn, is that fat free???  Maybe it is, but
I really doubt it.  Better check that tomato sauce too.  :-)

Sorry, but these things that claim that they're soooo low fat when
they're obviously not just drive me crazy.

I do read these recipes, even if I don't make them.  :-)

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,