Re: [CH] grass clippings

Matt Prerost (mprerost@mindspring.com)
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 17:29:08 -0500

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 14:26:02 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 6/00 10:30:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, h0t5auce@home.com
>writes:
>
><< BTW: Am considering using dry grass clippings as a mulch for the peppers
> (read about it somewhere). Before I do, should I be aware of any potential
> problems? >>
>
>As long as grass is not coated with pesticides, weedicides, or hyper
>Nitrogenous fertilizer, mulch away.
>Garreth

I guess you can use it, I think the nitrogen from the clippings
leaches out in a day or so.  After that they might grow mold at bottom
of them.  Not sure how that would effect the garden.  Plus you might
introducing more weeds into the garden.  If you are looking for
something effective in controlling weeds I would suggest a scuffle
hoe.  It really does a number on weeds and requires very little
physical effort to use.

Here is a link to a picture of one.

http://www.camden-industrial.com/supply/webSession/store/dept-9/department/dept-9/item/90300/icn/20-533430/lookin/90300/true_temper/scu6.htm

Matt Prerost