Re: [CH] watering question

Sojourner (sojournr@missouri.org)
Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:59:25 -0500

Steve Nearman wrote:

> >1) Watering during the heat of the day means you lose a lot of water to
> >evaporation.  A LOT.
>
> I would rather loose the water than the crop. If the NEED a drink give it to
> them, if your just giving them a little extra now and then you can be picky.

If you are watering properly - deeply, and at night or in the late
evenings or very very early mornings - you don't need to water in the
middle of the day.

Forethought ALSO goes a long way towards preserving water.  Those of us
with wells prefer to preserve our water and not risk running it
needlessly dry.

> Must be different where you live. When it stops raining here during the day
> time, DUH, the sun comes out bathing all the wet leaves with direct sun light.
> Been that way long as I can remember. ;-)

It is more common for clouds to persist for awhile.

Maybe its different where you live.

> We have had drought here for the past 3 years. So far this year no problems. We
> use a soaker hose system and mulch. Not much evaporation lose during daytime
> watering if you heavy mulch.

If you are using soaker hoses under mulch that's almost as good as
watering at night.  However, the original query involved OVERHEAD
watering - which I have done and do still occassionally do, but not in
the middle of the day.

Overhead watering in the middle of the days heat is a waste of time and
water.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant

If you see the Bhudda by the side of the road . . .
give the poor slob a lift, his car probably broke down.