RE: [CH] watering question

Pieters, Rob (rob.pieters@honeywell.com)
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:33:33 +0100

I agree with Steve.
I've always watered my plants in the evening and have never had very good
results with it.
But I know that some will claim that watering in the morning will be better
for growth, so I disagree.
The only thing is that you have to be sure that your plants have enough
water (and food) necessary to live through the day.
And also watering during day time isn't very harmful I believe, it's always
better to water them than to let them suffer till the time you think is
best... waiting to long will do more harm than the water drops on the
plants, again right Steve!
And I noticed that you only get problems with fungus when the soil it wet
for a long time, so water regularly and give the soil time to dry up before
the next load.
Also true is that some fungus, there not all bad ones, will stabilize the
necessary bacteria cultures in the soil.

Hot regards
Rob

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Steve Nearman [mailto:chiles@flash.net]

 >Watering in the daytime can cause some damage to plant foliage.  Each
 >drop of water acts as a tiny magnifying glass which can
 concentrate heat
 >from the sun and burn foliage.

 Just BS, What ever "heating-up" that is done like a tiny
 magnifying glass would
 be more than offset by the cooling effects caused by evaporation.

 >Some diseases are spread more easily by moisture splashing up from the
 >ground onto plants.

 True, splashing can transfer soil problems to leaves. Use
 mulch to reduce
 transfer.

 Some "experts" say never water after the sun sets. This will
 keep the foliage
 wet and breed mold and fungus diseases. "You don't put a baby
 to bed with a wet
 a diaper do you?" Well, some types of plants are prone to this
 problem and, for
 them, it is good advise. However.

 Stop and ask yourself, did God knew what He was doing when He
 created all these
 integrated systems? ... Most often thunder storms come in the
 late afternoon or
 early evening. The plants do not dry out till late morning
 next day. God is not
 dumb, He created Chiles, right?

 After a rain the sun rises and shines on all that wet
 foliage... killing most
 of it because of all those tiny water drop magnifying glass
 burning them up.
 Ya, Right!

 Gee! What a dilemma. I should not water during the day or at
 night either. My
 poor plants. What am I to do? It has not rained in six weeks!

 Just water when the plants need it, day or night. Its that
 simple folks.