Re: [CH] chile beers item

Dave Drum (xrated@famvid.com)
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:49:33 -0500

peter gaffney wrote:

> from Brew Your Own magazine ...
> "From Jalapeņo to Habanero, How to Brew Scorching Chili Beers
> at Home" http://byo.com/00may/feature.html
> three recipes: a stout, an IPA & a lager.
>    interesting recipes, but i'm not sure about the stout chile addition;
>
> it calls for 1/2 med. dried Anaheim chile to be added to each bottle!
> wonder how the heck he gets it in there?!
> somehow, i suspect it's a smaller, different type of dried chile.
>    any idea how to get a Scoville estimate of the resulting beers?
> regards

It won't be terrifically hot... Anaheims are pretty mild - only about
1,000 on the Scoville (IIRC)... dilute that with aqua vita and the
result will probably be fairly mild.

I can get 1/2 a dried Anaheim into a long-neck beer bottle it you don't
make me keep it in one piece. Fresh Anaheim is a poiece of cake. Just
roll it up like a message and put it in the jug.   <GGG>

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider