Re: [CH]V6 #201 marmalade, rocotos & fertilizer

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:09:27 -0400

Hi C-H's,

Margaret tsiptsis wrote:
>wondering if anyone out there might have a good
>recipe for hot pepper jelly,marmalade,relish.

No, but real marmalade of the British type (big chunks of saville
orange peel and bitter sweet) goes amazingly well with powdered
chipotle.

Baher R. wrote:

>Is it possible to cross breed a C.Pubescens with a C.Chinese and come
>up with a hybred?

It is not absolutely impossible but I would guess very very difficult
to accomplish. Closest relatives to C. pubescens are C. cardenasii
and C. eximium whose fruit are interesting in their own right but
smaller and less useful than C. pubescens in my opinion. C. pubescens
has been cultivated for thousands of years and so is already highly
selected for desirable traits.

Byron asked:

>If I wanted to feed my chiles some 5-5-5 and all I have is 10-10-10,
>Is there any feasable way a home gardener can do this?

Either use half as already suggested, or dilute your fertilizer with
an equal volume of something inert or useful. Where you are I would
suggest Canadian peat moss.

--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.