RE: [CH] Peppered Plastics

Goslowsky, George (gjgoslow@intergraph.com)
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:54:11 -0500

This would make GREAT everlasting plastic suckers.  If you made toilet seats
out of the plastic stuff or painted them with it, it would add a new meaning
to "ring-o-fire".  Probably make good coffee stir sticks too.

George J. Goslowsky
Senior Software Analyst
Intergraph Corp.

I am made from the dust of stars and the oceans flow in my veins

-----Original Message-----
From: McWilliams, Dan [mailto:DMcWilliams@fendall.com]
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2000 3:40 PM
To: 'Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com'
Subject: [CH] Peppered Plastics

	I just ran across an article about chiles in Machine Design
magazine, which is the last place, other than in the Bland and Tasteless
Food Gazette that I'd expect to find peppers mentioned. Evidently, there is
a manufacturer who has a process to bond the capsaicin from Habaneros "into
plastics, paints, stains and other rubberized materials". Pest control is
the reason for putting the capsaicin in to the materials, which can then be
made into products which will repel pest such as woodpeckers. It can also be
used in maritime products. The process supposedly remains active for the
life of the product. "Researchers at New Mexico Tech invented the process
which is said to be powerful, inexpensive (I guess they haven't priced Habs
lately) and effective".
	So is Tabasco going to start making Smokey Habanero Glossy Exterior
Paint? Trouble is I'd be out licking the side of my house all day!
Anyway if anyone wants more info let me know and I'll send for some. After
all a real Chile Head might want his place painted with pepper paint.

The Chile Cheese Head,
Dan McWilliams

By doing just a little every day, I can gradually
let the task completely overwhelm me.
- Ashleigh Brilliant