Re: [CH] Pairing wine & food....

Sojourner (sojournr@missouri.org)
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:42:59 -0500

Art Pierce wrote:

> (I would also include another basic "taste": pain/heat/pungent.)
>
> >From the Wine Brats:
>
> "We, as humans, only have 5 basic tastes:
> sweet, umami (protein), sour, salt and bitter.
>
> All you need to know are three general rules about
> how these tastes react with food and wine.
>
> "Pairing Rule Number One:
> Sweet and umami flavors make wine taste stronger and harsher.
>
> "Pairing Rule Number Two:
> Sour and salt flavors make wine taste milder and fruitier.
>
> "Pairing Rule Number Three:
> If, in any food, you balance sweet/umami and sour/salt, the dish will have
> little effect on wine flavors and you can drink anything you want."
>
> [Always have and will.]
>
> (They left out bitter.)

Err, no they didn't - its up there.

As for the rest of it, I drink what I feel like drinking, whether it's
supposed to "go" together or not.  I get to decide what tastes right.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant

If you see the Bhudda by the side of the road . . .
give the poor slob a lift, his car probably broke down.