RE: [CH] DeCon for Squirrels

Mary & Riley (uGuys@ChileGarden.com)
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:48:01 -0700

> Suz wrote:
> >
> >  What would be the consequence of
> > putting that DeCon out for the squirrels to eat?  I assume the squirrels
> > would go into their hole to die, thereby not posing a problem with the
> > coyotes or birds spreading the DeCon.
>
> Don't count on it.  They're as like to crawl up under your house
> somewhere inaccessible and die there.
>
> My cats eat squirrels.  Yes, eat.  The little buggers were all over the
> Holly ;-D
> Contrary Peasant
> sojournr@missouri.org

Suz,

We have squirrels too.  And cats.  Gonna get a dog, but squirrels like to
tease dogs.  Luckily they've stuck with the oranges, avocados, lemons,
strawberries etc.  The chiles are in pots this season.  Very fat red
squirrels.  A picture of health.  Bet they'd be great on the grill but this
city boy will stick to cleaning fish!  :)

I haven't tried anything yet, but in the web based research I did what
appears to be the best way to get rid of them is trapping.  I looked into
live trapping  with the idea of releasing them with a nasty neighbor!  j/k,
actually releasing them at least 4 miles away--they'll find their way back,
otherwise.  Spose you could use other types of traps, but you still need to
supervise them.  LA City, and possibly the county, rent traps.  Think you're
in San Berdoo?  Might give 'em a call or check the county website.
http://www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/   I looked but didn't see anything.
Maybe try calling city/county community services depts.

Don't think DeCon will won't on squirrels--in fact, iirc, I found something
that said it won't.  But I may be mistaken.  You might want to hire someone
local to come in while you're gone.  Also read that capsaicin based
repellents won't work for existing populations, but may work as a
preventative.

We're still gonna have that SoCal hotluck.  I'm gonna call Ron Hay probably
next week to decide on a place/tentative dates.  Gotta be on or after 7/15
for us.  Going to the Kings River this week for some rafting!  And have some
other plans, like you!  This hotluck will probably be either in the SF
Valley or the Glendale area.  If anyone else is interested let me know.

Wish you luck on the squirrels, you're gonna need it. Enjoy the River!

Riley