Re: [CH] Moving to Normal

Dave Drum (xrated@famvid.com)
Sat, 08 Jul 2000 18:34:28 -0500

Margo Hobbs Thompson wrote:

> Folks,
> I'll be commuting between Mishawaka, Indiana, and Bloomington/Normal,
> Illinois, this coming year, having landed a one-year position at Illinois
> State. I'd be grateful if you all have any inside information on the hot
> food situation there, restaurants and groceries both. Any and all pointers
> or snide remarks are much appreciated--my family finds it hilarious that
> I'll be living a Normal life at last. I hope to prove them wrong.

There is a sizable Latino community in Bloomington/Normal so finding
authentic Mexican grub shouldn't be too tough. Hot.... yer on yer own.
This is out on the prairie where the cow flop is thick, where wimmen are
wimmen and ..... oooops, wrong song.

If you get real desperate - what's another 60 miles, right? Come on down
to Springfield - El Rancherito on West Jefferson is GREAT. Xomilicio on
West Iles will be great again as soon as they can re-staff after the
last visit from INS. Same deal for Cancun (both locations) staff
decimated by guys with badges asking for green cards.

Pretty good chilli parlour on South 9th Street - Joe Rogers' Original
Recipe Chilli Parlor. Chilli (w/beans - wo/beans on request) in steps
from mild to medium to medium hot to hot to JR Special (used to be
called Firebrand but the name got sold along with the original name of
the joint). If you eat a bowl of JR Special they put your name on the
wall. If you want another, it's free (or was) and you get a star after
your name. I only have a star after my name once.

Also a place called Cook's Spice Company on North Grand Ave. West which
has several different types of chilli and a wide variety of hot sauces
and spices for sale. I have given the owner (Fred Cook) the information
on Mild to Wild after letting him sample the Blazing Hot Habanero I
brought to doctor his white chilli. He'll likely be stocking Rev'rnd
Jim's stuff soon.

Shoulda took a gig at University of Illinois at Springfield. Lotsa good
places here. If you do make the trip - contact me off list for
up-to-date and more specific information.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider