Re: [CH] Re: Need a Recipe | POPULAR RECIPE SEARCH SITES

Art Pierce (pierces@cruzio.com)
Sat, 08 Jul 2000 17:31:52 -0700

Sandy, Mary-Anne, Tara

sandyo@willowtree.com wrote:

>I bought a pricey ($8) 9 oz. jar of spicy apple-garlic jam in a gift store
>last week.  It not for toast; it's the kind you use as an appetizer with
>cheese.  It was so good I'm not dying to find a similar recipe (won't keep
>paying those prices) It has a very tiny hint of jal in it (at least that
>what's listed on the ingredients)  Made by "Earth and Vine Provisions"
>located in Loomis, CA.  Anyone else ever see/taste this?  Any ideas where >to search out a recipe?

~~~

Earth & Vine Provisions Spicy Apple Garlic Jam: Crisp Fuji apples, fresh
jalapenos and fresh garlic create this enlivened savory jam.
Serve as a relish with pork, chicken or lamb.  Swirl into melted Brie and
serve with whole grain crackers, or atop sharp cheddar cheese and
crackers, or wrap with brie in pastry dough and bake.

Cheaper ($7.25) at
http://www.chilecauldron.com/Condiments.htm#JELLIES/JAMS/CHUTNEYS

~~~

Maybe you can modify a recipe from the following 2
or from the many at the search/list sites below.

~~~

Yablochnoe Varenye
(Russian apple jam without added pectin or gelatin)
2 lb. sugar
2 cup hot water
2 lb. apples, peeled, cored and sliced

Combine sugar and water in kettle. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until
sugar is dissolved. Stir in apple and simmer until apples are transparent.

Don't boil apples for more than 5 min. If still not ready after 5 min. take
kettle off the heat, let it chill out. Then boil again and simmer on low heat until
ready.

Notes: Underripe sour apples ( Antonov kind) must be used.

~~~

Apple Jam

3 lb Granny Smith apples
1 1/4 c water or apple cider
3 1/2 c sugar

Pare, core and coarsely chop apples. In a large sauce pot
bring apples and water to a boil; simmer covered, until tender
(about 40 minutes). Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Bring
to a boil and boil gently, uncovered, stirring often toward end
of cooking, until thick (about 1 hour). Store in freezer.
Makes about 10 cups.

~~~

A good ratio is 6 garlic cloves for each apple;
the amount of jalapenos is up to you.
(I'd throw in a little fresh ginger since it goes with all 3 ingredients.)

~~~

THE TEN MOST-VISITED RECIPE SEARCH SITES:

http://search.allrecipes.com/ingredsearch.asp?site=allrecipes
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes.htm
http://SOAR.Berkeley.EDU/recipes/admin/other/search.html
http://www.foodtv.com/recipes/re-l1/0,1726,,00.html