RE: [CH] cross breeding

Dale Freeman (dale.freeman@sorell.tas.gov.au)
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:10:17 +1000

This year I got around 60 pods plus each on on two single Rocoto/Manzano
plants.  Couldn't have been any cross pollination as one was in a
polytunnel, the other outdoors some hundred metres away.

Interestingly, I had yellow and reds growing together in a tunnel, and
didn't appear to get any cross pollination on either plant - both produced
only the colour they were supposed to.  Very interesting.

Cheers

Dale in the Southern bit of Oz

-----Original Message-----
From: Graeme Caselton [mailto:gcaselton@easynet.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, 8 July 2000 16:19
To: Chile-Heads Mailing List
Subject: Re: [CH] cross breeding

Dave Anderson <Chilehead@tough-love.com> wrote:

I think Brent Thompson has published a chart a couple
of times on
which varieties will cross-breed and which won't and
Pubescens
doesn't cross with anything if I remember correctly.
There is also
some mis-information out there that you need more than
one
Pubescens plant to get fruits. Quite a few of us have
gotten fruits
on single Rocoto plants.

--> I have a cross breeding matrix on my CH FAQ page,
it lists the
does, does-nots and the maybe's.

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~gcaselton/chile/faq.html

Cheers,