Re: [CH] Hot Tuna?

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:26:08 -0700

MReese4943@aol.com wrote:

> A client just returned from a fishing trip off of Mexico, and arrived at our
> office with tuna.  I now have a five pound chunk of blue fin in my freezer.
> I would like to smoke it.  Any suggestions on how a chile-head would properly
> prepare this fine chunk of fish flesh for smoking?
>
> Marilyn

Low and slow...

A friend of my son brought him some albacore awhile back.  It had
been previously frozen and thawed.  He cooked and ate as much as
he could and gave the rest to me.  Being previously frozen, I knew
it couldn't be refrozen without some further cooking, so I grilled
a couple steaks, ate 'em and smoked the rest. It turned out a little
dry, but was good...still have some in the freezer.

I marinated the pieces of fish in a salt/brown sugar brine overnight
and smoked 'em the next day...low and slow.  I used my offset firebox
smoker, so keeping the smoking temperature low and keeping the fish
as far from the drying influence of the heat source was fairly easy.
If you search the web, you'll find fish smoking (mostly salmon)
recipes/methods that call for smoking at 100 degrees fahrenheit
or less for 6 to 8 hours or more.  I smoked my albacore nekkid (the
fish, not me) at around 150 degrees for about 4 hours.

Next time I'll "dress" it by putting some lime juice, olive oil and
maybe a little white wine in a spray bottle and give it a spray once
in awhile to keep it moist.  I might also give the fish a rub down
with some "Pico de Gallo" spice mix (chile powder and fine grind salt)
before putting it in the smoker; and, I might add some of Rich's
Holy Habanero Hot Sauce to the spray bottle.

Rich

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...