Re: [CH] Hot Tuna, and a question

Virginia Anderson (assembly1@waitrose.com)
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 13:06:59 +0100

Hi Doug (and all),

Finnan Haddie is a lovely thing.  It must be cold smoked or something
because it stays raw while getting the flavour, while the tuna I ate was as
done as the stuff you get in cans....

Some years ago my husband and I honeymooned in the Borders region of
Scotland - St. Abbs.  The nearest "big" town (one horse and a mule rather
than one-horse) was the fishing village of Eyemouth, home of the Herring
Queen Festival.  They were also famous for their Eyemouth Smokies, so we had
to go there.  Lovely undyed smoked fish, like Finnan Haddie.  We lived on
the stuff.

The idea for pickled chiles with smoked fish comes from the fact that we
occasionally eat them with Basque hot peppers and also from a sadness.  We
can't find pickled jalapeņos here any more!  The guy at the Indian shop said
that European laws wouldn't let them through any more because of strange
standards and trade protection laws.  Most of the pickles from India aren't
allowed in, either.  This is the first we've heard of it.  Does any Euro-CH
know if this is the case?  Or is Leicester just becoming a pickled chile
black hole?

Cheers,

Virginia

--
Virginia Anderson
Leicester, UK

----------
>From: Doug Irvine <dougandmarie@home.com>
>To: Rich McCormack <macknet@pacbell.net>
>Subject: Re: [CH] Hot Tuna
>Date: Sat, Jul 15, 2000, 3:43 am
>

> Aah, Virginia....would you like to know why Rich's sainted mother fed him
Finnan
> Haddie?
> Because she was born and raised in Alberta, which you likely know, was named
for
> Prince Albert! And is still pretty British, even if they do have about 50%
Yanks