RE: [CH]V6 #215 Tricks to share

Parkhurst, Scott Contractor (PARKHURS@LEAVENWORTH.ARMY.MIL)
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:17:49 -0000

Cameron wrote, regarding the peeling of tomatoes:
> Tomatoes: Impale on a long kebab skewer through the "spider"
> end. Blister all round with your trusty kitchen propane torch.
> Peel under cold running water. Don't drop 'em - they're slippery!

   For those who have yet to equip themselves with a "trusty
kitchen propane torch" you might try the following:  Cut a small
"X" into the blossom end of the tomatoe.  Place in boiling water
for 10 -15 seconds.  Remove and place in ice water bath.  The skin
can be grabbed at the cut and the tomato peeled like a banana.
I haven't tried this with chiles.  It seems like it might work with
jalapeno peppers or other smaller, smoother skinned types.
   While we're on the subject, does anybody know why home
grown tomatoes seem to have thicker skins than store bought
maters?

Scott... The end result is remarkably similar to corn... KCK