RE: [CH] Dundicut Pepper from Pakistan

Ballard, David (DBallard@utilicorp.com)
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:11:41 -0500

Dave, My garden is now going well from the seeds you sent me.  I was
wondering about the freebee's you sent me.  The Dongya, and Tianhong.  Does
anybody have any info on mature size and color of these.  Any info would be
greatly appreciated.  Right now they are both doing well.  The Tianhong has
about 20 peppers growing in upright clusters.  The largest are about an inch
and a quarter long at this point.  The peppers on the Tianhong have the same
shape and size, but do not grow upright.

-----Original Message-----
From: P.M. Dierking [mailto:pmdierking@eternal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 6:58 PM
To: Dave Anderson
Cc: Chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: RE: [CH] Dundicut Pepper from Pakistan

> I recently received seeds for Dundicut (also spelled Dandicut)
> Peppers from Pakistan. I'm germination testing them and want to
> add them to my web site, but I don't know anything about them. I
> think I read that they are Habanero relatives (C. Chinense) but I
> can't find the source. The only information I've found on the internet
> is that they are rated at 30-50K scovies. Dave De Witt lists a
> "Dandicut Cherry" as a cultivated variety in Pakistan which isn't
> much help.

Hello,

I've had quite a bit of experience growing these.
They are commercially cultivated in the Tharparkar
region of Sindh, Pakistan.

They are in fact a Capsicum Annuum, but they do
have an extremely fine aroma when ripe reminiscent
of a good hab.  They are very hardy plants. I would
rate them more in the 75K scoville range, but YMMV.

I should add that I find few dishes that call for
habs that do not come out better using a heat
equivalent of dundicuts.

Dave, I have three lines of Dundicuts you may be
interested in sampling. One are originals from
Pakistan which are about 5 years old, but still
germinate, one which is a slightly improved selected line
from the original, and one line from a seed bank
in Taiwan. Let me know if you are interested in
any of these.

Regards,
P.M. Dierking