Re: [CH] Recipe Challenge....

Chet Bacon (chet@chetbacon.com)
Sun, 06 Aug 2000 07:56:25 -0400

Trussing means to tie up, this is done to retain shape and juices. A quick turn
of cotton string around the body to hold the wings in place tie then run the
string to the rear legs and tie them together tucking in the "pope's nose".  I
cook chicken to about 170 degrees pull out and let rest while you make the sauce.

There are a couple of things you could do to turn up the heat.  Take the magic
powder and combine with butter and stick under the skin so it will get into the
meat.
You could also mince a hot pepper of your choice and do the same, stick it under
the skin or cook with with the chicken.  The latter you add to your sauce when
you deglaze the pan.
Stuff the chicken with hot stuff'n (my fav).

Hope this helps, and brings up ideas for you to try.

Chet

MReese4943@aol.com wrote:

> Okay, here is an awesome recipe for chicken, but it has no heat.  Besides
> just sprinkling with Calvin's, any suggestions?
>
> 2 3.5 lb chickens
> 3 tablespoons butter
> salt and pepper to taste
> 1 cup water
> 1/2 cup heavy cream
> 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
>
> Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
> Rub chickens all over with butter.  Sprinkle inside and out with salt and
> pepper.  Truss.  (Marilyn's note: I don't know how to truss, and I never did
> this, but it was in the original recipe, so I left it in.)  Arrange (funny
> how things have to be arranged in a fancy recipe) chickens on their sides in
> a shallow baking pan.
>
> Roast for 20 minutes, turn on the other side.  (Baste often) Roast another 20
> minutes, turn on their backs.  Roast another 20 minutes, or until cavity
> juices run clear.
>
> Remove chickens from pan, and keep warn.  Pour off fat from pan, add the
> water.  Stir to remove the brown particles that cling to the pan.  Pour
> liquid into a sauce pan, cook to reduce by half.  Add cream and cook briefly.
>  Add mustard and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds.  Serve chicken sliced
> with mustard sauce.

* Chet Bacon   KA1ILH     |           Okay, who put a             *
* PO Box 284              |         "stop payment" on my          *
* Southington, CT 06489   |             reality check?            *
* E-Mail:                 | Homepage:                             *
* chet@chetbacon.com      | http://www.chetbacon.com              *
* chet_bacon@whps.org     |<work>  http://www.whps.org            *
* Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco*
* Adopt a Doberman     Help end puppy mills!      www.dru.org     *