Re: [CH] Recipe Challenge....

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@home.com)
Sun, 06 Aug 2000 10:18:36 -0700

Marilyn....strangely enuf, I had one in the fridge, thawing out, but only one
3.5 lb. I had suggested to Marie that as we had not had a whole chuck for about
three weeks, it was time.
So, this morning, I removed it from the bag, washed it out well, removing any
extraneous bits left in the middle....dried it out well, and put in another bag
without a hole in it!! Added 1/4 cup ginger wine, 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine,
one tbls sesame oil, shook it all around,and sealed the bag, and back into the
fridge, and in a couple of hours, I will add 2-3 minced garlic cloves, and a
half tsp of Calvins, to the cavity, and re-seal the bag. Now, I have, for the
last 5 or 6 years cooked chicken in our small convection oven, on the rack, with
water in the bottom tray. In the convection oven, it always comes out golden,
and the flavor is superb. This bird will sit and marinate all day, and late this
afternoon, I will remove it from the bag, reserving the liquid, spray it all
over with an olive oil spritzer, and if you aint got one of those, I can really
recommend it....little plastic bottle with a pump in the top, which you half
fill with olive oil(or whatever) pump up some pressure and spray away! Then into
the oven with that bird, and about an hour later it is perfection! That is at
325F Convection oven is always faster , but I always use a chef's thermometer to
about 170F.
The reserved liquid, and the garlic, I will add to the oven tray, scrape the
brown bits, tranfer to a small pot and make a gravy. Lots of
variations....sometimes I slice an onion and lay it on the tray before adding
the water....use the imagination! Cheers, Doug in BC