[CH] Re: Need input

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:55:26 GMT

>From: Dustymllr@aol.com

>do the chile-heads (particularly those
>living in the midwest) have any suggestions on what other types do well in
>the crazy spring/summer weather of the midwest.

Well, no two years are the same, but then growers from just about anywhere
could say that.  Here in Columbus I've had reasonable results with the usual
types, though I can't even approach Jim's ability to coax habs into
exuberance.  The typical cayennes, serranos, super chiles and such usually
do well for me.

Keep trying different varieties and see which ones seem to like being in
your place.

Watch out for the wetter years, because depending on your garden and what
you're trying to grow in it, you can get into a lot of trouble with TMV.
Also be careful with varieties that become rather topheavy with fruit; these
will topple in thunderstorms, especially if your soil is softened through
extensive tilling.  Toward the end of the season, you might be able to cover
the plants from a freeze or two and squeeze another three or four weeks out
of the growing season.

>Lost in middle America-Marty & Debbie

There are worse places to be lost.  And hey, the more Ohio people we get,
the more likely it is that we can pull off some hotlucks of our own.

- A