[CH] Francisca Habs

McWilliams, Dan (DMcWilliams@fendall.com)
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:57:26 -0500

[snip]

>>Carlos M Navarro wrote:
>>I have a question for any of you who grew the Francisca variety acquired
>>from Shepherd's Garden Seeds.  Did your plants produce the elongated
>>Franciscas (like they were supposed to) or did they produce normal-sized
>>habaneros?
 I grew the Franciscas last year. My plants produced a range of shapes from
fairly blocky to the elongated shape you described. The majority of them
were much larger than the other types of Habs I grew. Many were so large I
was able to stuff them with burger and rice and make poppers out of them.
They started out a light green and progressed to a beautiful light orange,
much lighter than the other Habs. I grew about (8) plants last year and I
was real happy with the flavor and heat. I can't say that I had any plants
that I didn't feel produced pretty much what I expected.

 p.s. Anyone have a good recipe for the 300+ piquins I get every summer? I
> can only eat so many, and my attempt at a Tabasco style sauce failed
> miserably! Yes, I am a Tabasco fan, but I make most of my hot sauces from
my
> ample supply of Yucatan habs.

Here is a great recipe for a sauce that my mother makes with tepins, which I
am going to try with some small piquins I am growing this year. You'll need:
 2 or 3 tsps of flour,
 a tsp of oregano,
 about 4 or 5 gloves of garlic (or you can use a tsp. of garlic powder)
 a 18oz can of tomato sauce,
 3 oz oil,
 3/4 ounce of Chile Tepins (substitute piquins)
 and 1 cup of boiling water.

Lightly brown the flour in the oil.
Then gently toast the tepins in a dry pan.
Now put the water, tepins, garlic and oregano in a blender and mix well.
After blending add the mixture to the browned flour. Heat slowly until
boiling. Boil for a few seconds and you have your sauce.

The Chile CheeseHead,
Dan McWilliams

	Even though you are alone in a dark room, conduct yourself as though
you were facing a noble guest. Zen-Getsu