Re: [CH] F1's

bill jernigan (bill.jernigan@juno.com)
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:18:27 -0400

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:56:13 +1000 Tara Deen <tara@es.usyd.edu.au>
writes:

> OP stands for open pollinated. They will breed true to type. When two
> types of pepper are cross-pollinated the next generation will be F1
> hybrids, with genetic features of both parents. Any seeds saved from
> this, whether cross-pollinated or not will be the F2 generation and
will
> produce plants of greater variation than the F1 generation.
> Selection of which plants you save seeds from for each subsequent
generation can
> result in a stable hybrid, and a new stable cultivar, with time.

ok, this kindasorta explains why some of the listmembers have been
complaining about buying savina seeds (for example) and getting chiles
that look like turnips...the savinameisters are obviously trying to reach
savina nirvana, when they can sell seeds that will produce genuine
savinas every time, so that they can really make a fortune...

> Anything I have wrong, or have created from my own warped memories of
my
> Biology degree will be subsequently corrected by other members of the
> list...

this reserved crowd?...correct someone?...naw, i don't believe
that...they will just sit back and chuckle quietly under their breath,
but would never embarass someone by speaking out...would they?...

<guffaw>

seriously, they would never challenge anyone with as many numbers and
universities and divisions and buildings and such as you have under your
name...would they?...

bill
did you donate food today?
visit http://www.thehungersite.com once a day