Re: [CH] choc hab seeds / Plant ID Assistance

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:44:50 -0500

Dana Karras wrote:

> I emailed the list a while back, and I was told to write back around this
> time to check if anyone had choc. habenero seeds. Does anybody have any they
> are willing to donate?
>
> Dana K
> oozarugoku@home.com

Dana,

  Let me know if no one else responds (though not likely considering the
resources which abound here). I have one Choc. Hab. plant that is just beginning
to bud. I'm hoping I can bring it in before the first frost, and get at least a
pod or two to ripen indoors. The problems are:

1. Seed was from Calvin in TX who purchased the pod at a grocery store.

2. Plant is open pollinated (on my balcony near a few other varieties).

 But hey, as I said, if this is the only response you get, it's better than
nothing...

  Heads,
  Help please.

  Out at the folks garden I have a good selection of plants, most grown from
seed from a very reputable source (which I won't name here). Now I know I did a
good job labeling as I transplanted, but:

I have a very nice, healthy Fatalii out here on the balcony, and one also
labeled as such in the garden. Problem is, the plant in the garden labeled
Fatalii, while looking much the same as the one here, is producing pods which
begin green and seem to quickly turn dark purple. They resemble something in the
(larger) Thai / non-wrinkly Cayenne range. Now, I am growing three varieties
which produce purple pods this year, but all of them have very colorful foliage,
and are not even close in plant size or pod size / shape. Any thoughts on a
COMPLETELY green plant which produces purple pods? Maybe it's just something
that got crossed at the nursery last year. Have to see how the fruit of it's
labor turn out; may have to bring it in this fall.

Thanks,

Erich
C-H # 2099