Re: [CH] Eats in the UK and Bangkok

David Hanks (dhanks@frangipani.com)
Sat, 02 Sep 2000 17:06:23 +0700

Lori,

	Do you have any idea where you will be staying?  Trying to get around
Bkk really sucks and I'd hate to send you on a wild goose chase for some
place that might take four hours to get to...

	One place though, that is about a 5 minute walk from a Skytrain station
is Bussaracam, on Soi Wat Kaek, aka Soi Pan, between Silom and Sathon.
It's been there forever so your hotel desk can help you get a cab if you
have trouble with Bkk maps.  It's a very nice place to sample "Royal
Thai Cuisine" and the food is delicious and beautiful to look at.  Each
dish could be on the cover of some gourmet magazine.   If there's
anyplace I like to take visitors, it's here.

	Don't eat Thai food at your hotel.  It will be bland and over-priced.
Five minutes in any direction from where you stay you can get a better
meal for a better deal.

	If you want really hot, you should try Som Tam, the raw papaya salad.
The best place to get this is on the street and it's everywhere.  If you
see several office ladies, or construction ladies, sitting around a
table on little stools, laughing, sweating, giggling, and waving there
hands in front of their faces, and saying "Pet, pet, pet", and then
eating some more, then they are probably eating Som Tam and that would
be a good place to try it.  Just point at what they are eating and tell
the cook how many chiles you want in your dish.

	That might be a start.  If you're staying around Sukhumvit Road, I
haven't eating much Thai food out that way in a while.  However, if
you're near the river or around Silom, I might be able to help more.

	Have a tasty trip.

	David